Monday, April 18, 2005

A Perfect Sunday

Yesterday, Dick and I had what I consider to be one of those "perfect days".

First, we made our weekly pancake breakfast, which is always a treat.

The day looked clear and beautiful out, so we made it out by 11:00 to go for a nice, long urban hike.
We decided head out towards The Haight, which means that we have to make our way over "the hill" of Cole Valley. It's quite a hike, with lots of long stairways, but it's a really gorgeous neighborhood to walk around. We eventually made our way to Haight Street, and did a little window and clothes shopping. After a quick lunch, we decided to head into Golden Gate Park. We saw some very interesting sites along the way: the group that holds swing dance lessons in the park every week, the Golden Gate Band giving a concert, etc., We also walked near the construction of the new DeYoung Museum. We were fully aware of the work being done on the DeYoung (which opens this fall, I believe) but we weren't aware that the California Academy of Sciences has also been torn down, with plans of reopening in 2008. That was a great surprise to both of us!

We made our way over to 9th and Irving, and grabbed a Jamba Juice (Yum!). By this time, we were pretty tired, and decided to catch the N-Judah train from Irving Street and took it over to Noe Street in our neighborhood. We stopped in to our local Tower Records, where Dick bought the ultimate in geeky magazines: Make: technology on your time.

As we were walking home on Castro Street, I noticed that our local Ben & Jerry's Scoop Store has closed! Oh no! I guess I didn't really go there all that often, but I have to admit, and I really liked knowing that it was there :) Plus, I read yesterday that tomorrow is Free Cone Day! Bummer!

Once we were home, Dick and I dove back into our new CSS project. Dick has been an incredible help for me in developing this new site via CSS. We've made great progress, and honestly, have really enjoyed working on it together!

It should be noted that yesterday was the day that I "saw the light". That light would be Macromedia Dreamweaver, versus Adobe GoLive. I had used Dreamweaver several years ago when I worked with Abbe Don, and was always impressed with it. However, I bought a copy of Adobe GoLive for my business several years ago because I was able to get a hefty discount from the good folks at Adobe.

Yesterday afternoon, Dick and I downloaded the 30-day trial version of Dreamweaver, and I have to say: I'm sold. It really is a superior product. So, for all of you folks who have been using Dreamweaver all of these years, wondering why I use GoLive, please know that I'm joining you now. :)

Ironically, Adobe & Macromedia just announced this morning that Adobe will be acquiring Macromedia.

Anyhow, Dick and I spent the entire late afternoon and evening geeking out with Dreamweaver and CSS. I'm very pleased with how well our project is turning out, plus we've really enjoyed the endless hours of geeky fun that we've been able to share with each other!

No comments: