Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Stepping in for the Long-Eared One

As I just mentioned, Dick's 7-year-old nephew is coming to visit us tomorrow for a week. He'll be here for Easter Sunday.

When his Mom and I realized that, she asked if I would mind putting an Easter Basket together for Peter - he's just on the verge of believing, and not believing ;) I had thought of the idea as well, and was more than happy to help Mr Rabbit find his way to Peter here in SF.

I went to Target yesterday, with a list in hand of suggestions that Dick's sister had made. I wanted to make sure that whatever I assembled was close to what he was used to getting at home - no need to arouse any more suspicions!

I have to say, I had a lot of fun putting together my first Easter Basket. I got the standard Chocolate Bunny (named Peter Candytail), plastic eggs (which I filled with chocolates & candy), and miniature nerf football, a pair of sunglasses (which his mom said is a tradition with them) and (my favorite) a travel-sized "Simon" game. Remember that handheld electronic game from the 70s? They actually had several remakes of games from that time period. I was happy to see a new and improved version of "Merlin". I had the original version when I was about 8 years old. I loved it. In fact, I still have it somewhere boxed in my closet at my parent's house. I know my friend from junior high, Sheri, still has her's, too!

My parents were always SO good with delivering special presents from the Easter Bunny, Santa, and even "The Great Pumpkin". (Did anyone else have a Great Pumpkin deliver goodies to them?) My parents were so creative, and looking back, I really appreciate all of the work and effort that they put into making our holidays special. They used to write us notes (from Santa, Easter Bunny, & Great Pumpkin) with our gifts. I eventually figured out that they would write with their non-dominant hand to disguise their handwriting! (how clever!) One year, The Easter Bunny delivered hand-painted ceramic Raggedy Ann & Andy bookends for me. I LOVED them. I remember looking at their bottom side, and seeing the initials "B.C." engraved in them. I asked my Mom (whose name is Barbara) what the initials meant. My mom, in her ever so quick and witty way replied, "Oh - that must mean "Bunny Country"! That's some quick thinking, Mom! :)

Anyhow, The Easter Bunny (or Peter Rabbit) will be delivering a pretty cool Easter Basket to His 'n Her Condos on Sunday.
I hope Peter likes it! :)

No comments: