Saturday, February 14, 2004

Happy Heart Day

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dick and I had a really nice day. He isn't into Valentine's Day at all (who can blame him, really) so we pretty much had a nice, normal day. We made a very nice meal tonight to "celebrate": we roasted a chicken, and found a great recipe for leeks and carrots. Yum!

Honestly, I think my most memorable Valentine's Days were the years that I celebrated "un-Valentine's Days" with friends. Most notably:

Valentine's Day 1990:
"Single and Unattached Day". My sister and I were living in Dayton, OH, doing the color guard thing. We had a bunch of people over - probably 12-16. We made dinner (or perhaps ordered pizza). I remember that our friend, Beth, baked 2 heart-shaped cakes, frosted them, then proceeded to cut through them with jagged lines (like a broken heart). It was a lot of fun.

The other memorable "un-Valentine's Day" was 2000. Dick and I had been dating for over a year, and he was in Japan (on business) for the 2nd Valentine's Day in a row. Since he was literally out of the country, I went to join a bunch of friends for a "Bitter Valentine's Party". My friend, Philip, arranged it. There was a group of us (10, maybe?) who met at Nirvana in the Castro. We had a contest for "who was the most bitter". I think it was Laura who won - she had a speech about not dating because she was a "fag hag", had dated too many men who turned gay, and then just couldn't find any decent straight men. She did, of course, meet the man of her dreams later that year, and was married 1 1/2 years later. They've been married for a couple of years now, and have a little baby girl! :)

So, however you choose to celebrate (or not) Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: