Sunday, January 21, 2018

Beet, Carrot, Apple Ginger Juice!

When I was in Bellevue last month, I had breakfast with my friend Debra and tried a really delicious juice made up of beets, carrots, apples ad ginger. I really loved it and realized that it should be something I could make at home.

I looked up a recipe online and found this:
https://minimalistbaker.com/juice-without-a-juicer-apple-carrot-beet-ginger-juice

It's a pretty easy recipe with the right tools in the kitchen. I double the recipe since it takes the same amount of time, and so that we can have an extra serving the next day.

Here's what I use

2 beets, rinsed, lightly peeled and quartered
2 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
2 Tbsp size piece of fresh ginger (skin removed)
a couple handfuls of baby carrots
unfiltered apple juice

Instructions
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding a splash of apple juice if needed to get it moving. I probably added about 1/2 cup.

Then, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the juice over. Use a rubber spatula to press the pulp down and squeeze all of the juice out. Let stand for 5 minutes so you get most of the juice.
Discard pulp and pour your juice into a serving glass. Drink immediately or chill for a bit. Will keep in the fridge for a day or so, but will taste best when fresh.

So, until this morning, I was using the strainer method, which works pretty well, but takes time. Dick didn't love how much pulp from the vegetables were left after being strained. He was certain that we could find a way to squeeze more juice out of the pulp for less waste.

I found this nylon cheesecloth bag meant for straining juices (among other things). We tried it this morning for the first time to great success! We probably got 1-1/2 to double the amount of juice as we had strained before.

The juice is delicious, and has lots of good nutrients in it. Dick and I both love beets and the ginger gives it a nice zing. I've been making this a couple of times a week for the last month or so.


My Blendtec jar filled with deliciousness: 2 beets, apples (I usually use two, but only had one today), ginger, carrots and apple juice


All blended together. I seriously love my Blendtec!!


All the blended veggies/fruits poured into the straining bag


Dick is squeezing out the juice through the bag


We yielded about 4 cups of juice today!

No comments: