Saturday, November 04, 2017

SFAI Alumni Exhibition, Part 1

My Alma Mater, The San Francisco Art Institute, is doing a new thing this year: They are hosting an Alumni Exhibition at the famed Diego Rivera Gallery as part of their Annual (apparently) Alumni Weekend.

The exhibit is being done "Salon Style":

—Le Salon de Diego. Taking its name and from the Parisian salons of the 19th century academic competition, the style refers to an organic way of taking over a space and hanging throughout the wall.

The only criterial for physical pieces were that they not exceed 20"x30".

Most of my paintings are 24"x24" or larger, so many wouldn't be qualified. I decided to submit my painting, "Pool #2" which is 24"x18".

I brought Wallace to my school today to drop off the painting. I thought it would be fun to grab some photos of him while we were there.

The curator told me that they would be hanging the show on Tuesday, and that the exhibit will be up from Wednesday through Saturday. There will be a reception for the artists on Saturday from 4:00-6:00. I plan to be there with my family from 4:00-5:00 or so.

I imagine that this will sound much more impressive than it actually is (Having a painting on exhibit at the Diego Rivera Gallery) but I have to admit that I'm pretty excited about it!

I'll be bringing Miguel to show him the show and campus on Wednesday, so I'll take some photos of the hung exhibit then. Stay tuned!


Wallace posing in front of the Diego Rivera Mural


Wallace is posing in front of my submission for the Exhibition, "Pool #2"


some of the entries for the Alumni Exhibition

No comments: