Saturday, November 07, 2015

Wayne Thiebaud Show at the Paul Thiebaud Gallery

When I came home to San Francisco earlier this week, I found a show announcement for a local gallery in the mail. The Paul Thiebaud Gallery (Paul was the late son of Wayne Thiebaud) is presenting a Wayne Thiebaud show that started this Thursday and is running through late December.

I was excited to see the show, and was making a mental note to be sure to see it sometime during one of my visits in SF over the next month. When I was painting with Dean on Tuesday, he had the same show announcement mailed to him, and pointed out the the gallery reception for the show was going to be today, Saturday, November 7th.

I realized that my schedule today was tight, but rearranged a couple of things to make time to go to the reception.

I knew there was a *chance* that Wayne Thiebaud himself may be there. Assuming it was a possibility, I brought with me a museum book that I had bought of a Wayne Theibaud show at the Palace of Legion of Honor from the early 2000s.

The show was very nice - they had over 40 original pieces. Outside of a museum show, I imagine this is the only time I'll have an opportunity to see so many Wayne Theibaud paintings all in one place. The dates of the pieces ranged from the 1960s through this year.

As I posted earlier today, I DID have the opportunity to meet Mr. Thiebaud!! I caught him at a moment when he was alone, without a crowd around him, and he very graciously agreed to take a photo with me. I don't get starstruck very often, but today was one of those days. I tried to keep my cool, and tried hard not to overwhelm him with my enthusiasm. :)

I told him that I am friends with Takada, a fine printmaker who taught and helped Mr. Thiebaud with his wood-block prints in the early 80s in Japan. It was a nice connection to be able to share with him. He was also gracious enough to sign the book that I brought with me. I was absolutely giddy!!













No comments: