Friday, February 28, 2014

Mom & Dad's February Visit

My parents came out to visit us during the last week of February! We had a really wonderful visit, and were pretty busy the entire time. Unfortunately, I was too busy/tired to write a blog post during that time, and then I was sick afterwards. I'm finally getting around to it - having to change the date to reflect when their visit was. Just wanted to make sure to get the basics down, and the photos up!

The weather was amazing. I told them that they were here for the only 4 consecutive days of non-rain that we've had here since I moved to Bellevue in early January. It rained the day before they came, and again (actually, snowed) the day after they left.

Some of the highlights of their visit:

Microsoft! We met my friend, Nicole, and also Dick at the Microsoft Commons for lunch. The Commons is the super-fancy, huge, food-court like cafeteria option on the Microsoft Campus. Thanks, Nicole and Dick for meeting us for lunch, and for showing us around! After lunch, my parents and I checked out the Microsoft Store on Campus, and also went to the Visitor's Center.


Mom, Nicole, Dad


Mom and Dad at Microsoft Campus

We started our next day off in the Madrona neighborhood of Seattle at the glassybaby store and hot shop! My dear friend, Mary, generously gave my parents and I a tour of the hot shop, and behind-the-scenes areas of the store. We all really enjoyed it - thank you, Mary!!


glassybaby hot shop!


Mary showing glassybaby product to my parents


Mom and Dad at the glassybaby Madrona store

We had lunch at a great little place in Madrona, then headed to the Space Needle! My parents and I haven't been to the Space Needle since 1982.


Mom and Dad in front of the Space Needle

We spent a couple of hours at the Chihuly Garen and Glass Exhibit. It was really spectacular.


Chihuly Exhibit - indoors


Chihuly sculpture inside the greenhouse


outside, in the Chihuly garden

We had a couple of hours before our scheduled dinner with friends, so we went up the the top of the Space Needle and enjoyed the view, coffee/hot chocolate, and eventually the sunset from the top.


Dad and Mom, at the top of the Space Needle


Space Needle at night

We met our friends, Jeff and Cheryl at a nearby restaurant, and had a GREAT time catching up. Jeff worked at LSI Logic in Milpitas back in the days when I, and later, my Mom, worked there. I hadn't seen them in well over 10 years!


The Chows with Cheryl and Jeff

My parents left the next afternoon. We spent part of the morning walking around Downtown Bellevue a bit. I brought them to Bellevue Downtown Park, which was especially beautiful that morning.


My parents at Bellevue Downtown Park



We had a really nice visit together, and look forward to another one soon!

No comments: