Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week 7: Dolores Street Painting

Not quite done, but getting there!


painting after today's session

Today was my 7th session working on the Dolores Street painting with Dean. I thought I might finish today, but there are still just a few tidbits to work on next week.

I made several edits today. The biggest change is something that (hopefully) no one would notice if it weren't pointed out. We discovered that the angle of the bottom left of the building (and sidewalk) were off, so I redid the bottom half of the building.

Here's how it looked before (at the end of last week's session):

last week

The easiest way to see the change is to see how the line of the bottom of the building intersects with the parked car. You can see that I adjusted the angle of the building fairly significantly. I had to match up the color with what was already there, and did a decent job, but it also gave me to opportunity to clean up the bottom of the building as well, which was getting a little splotchy. I also elongated the two windows, on the left side of the door.

I also worked on the sky - taking out some of the clouds, and moved the large, green tree in the background. It used to get lost behind the palm tree, so I moved it to the left.

I also worked on the trunk of the front palm tree, to give it a little more depth and roundness.

I toned down the flowers in front of the building a bit so that they don't pop out as dramatically.

Finally, I added some details to the street - a skid mark, and a manhole cover. Subtle, but adds a bit more interest. Also, you can't really see this in the photo, but I added some blue from the sky to the edges of the big shadow on the street.

Next week, Dean suggested that we work on the details of the market sign (make it less literal) and work a bit on the buildings tucked away behind the two palm trees. They are a bit in no-man's land at the moment, and need a tiny bit of detail.

So, I'm almost done, but not quite!

I'm really happy with how this painting is turning out so far. It's been a great learning process.

No comments: