Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Progress on the Dolores Street Painting

Back home, and back to painting!!

I think I made some good progress on my latest painting. Today was "block" day, where Dean had me mix about 6-8 different colors and block out large areas of the canvas with each color to fill the canvas. It's surprising to me how much of a difference that makes, and how quickly that happens.

I did tweak a few lines here and there, added an extra palm tree, and put a little more detail in a couple of the buildings. So far, I'm liking how the painting is turning out to be slightly abstract. I hope to keep it that way by not getting to specific with details.

I'm loving the size of the canvas: 36" x 24". I've always enjoyed painting large. It feels more freeing to me.


there's a light shining from the right side, so that side of the canvas is slightly washed out.


here's the painting with the reference photo next to it. Dick prefers the composition of the original, so I may have to paint this twice to see how they each turn out.

No comments: