Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sizes at Starbucks

Most people who know me know that I don't drink coffee. With this in
mind, you'll hardly ever me utter the words, "do you mind if we go to
Starbucks?"..

I took Dick to his dentist appointment in Union Square this afternoon.
We got here early, and I had a craving for a hot chocolate. (plus, I
have a giftcard for Starbucks.)

When we walked in, there wasn't a line, so I walked directly to the
cashier. I didn't have time to read the menu, so I just ordered:
"I'll have a non-fat hot chocolate in whatever size your medium is."

Now, I do know enough about Starbucks to know that they have wacky
names for their drink sizes, that I suppose everyone else in the
universe knows but me.

As we waited for my hot chocolate, Dick and I examined their coffee
size names: Tall, Grande, and Venti.

Dick laughed, recalling a movie he had seen that joked about the
Starbucks naming convention:

Tall = Large
Grande = Large in Spanish
The only size that doesn't translate into "large" is Vendi! Which, by
the way, IS the large size!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Venti=20 in Italian. I'll bet it's a 20 oz cup.