Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Art of Coraline

What a great afternoon!

Andrew, Barry and I met for lunch at the Metreon, had carrot cake at Just Desserts (yum!), then went to watch Coraline in 3D at the theater.

The movie was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed the story well enough, but what really kept me compelled was the artistry of the animation and the quality of the 3D.

For those who may not know: Coraline is not a computer animated film. Nope - this is old-school stop-motion animation. The kind with models and armatures. Like those old holiday specials (Rudolph, Frosty, etc., ) from the 70s, or more recently, like Nightmare Before Christmas.

The animation is simply superb. As a former animation student, I know what can go into the simplest of stop-motion animation projects, so this really blew my mind.

Seeing it in 3D was also fantastic. Digital 3D. I guess it's becoming a popular thing, as we saw 2 other movie previews for films coming out this year also in Digital 3D.

After the movie, Andrew and I walked over to the Cartoon Art Museum. I had seen that they have a "Art of Coraline" exhibit that is only running through this Sunday, February 15th.

The exhibit was also fantastic. They had a lot of pre-production art (character model sheets, story boards, etc.,) as well as several models. One of my favorite parts of the exhibit was a section that showed Coraline's tiny hand-knit clothing, her wigs, and several interchangeable eyebrow and mouth expressions. Great stuff for animation geeks!

If you have a chance to see the movie, I highly recommend seeing it in 3D.
If you happen to be in SF this weekend, try to drop by the Cartoon Art Museum to see the exhibit.

No comments: