Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Velociraptors

It's like having miniature dinosaurs in the house..

I'm taking care of my sister's two birds for the next couple of weeks.

That's Bonsai on the left, and Crissy on the right.

We've had Crissy since she was a mere 6 weeks old. We got her in February, 1980, which, yes, means that she is 28 years old! (average life expectancy for cockatiels is around 15 years). We adopted Bonsai from a friend of a friend over 20 years ago, so she's probably in her early 20s.

When my family first saw Jurassic Park years ago, and we saw the scenes with the Velociraptors, we all agreed that our birds must be distant cousins of these dinosaurs. The way the walk, look around, and especially attack.

The birds, especially Crissy, have always been especially attached to my sister. Neither of them, especially Crissy, has ever been very fond of me. Seriously, she used to chase me out of my own room by pecking at my feet!

But here we are, years later, attempting to cohabitate peacefully for at least a couple of weeks.

Two weeks: two birds, two cats, two people.

We are truly redundant here at His 'n Her Condos. ;)

No comments: