Monday, July 14, 2008

One. Singular Sensation....

... Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch.... Again!!

Yesterday afternoon, Dick and I saw the matinée performance of the revival of "A Chorus Line" at the Curran Theater.

I had never seen a professional performance of this show - I'd only seen the movie (albeit, many, many times) and a local high school performance back in the 80s.

Dick was lucky enough to see it in London's West End over 30 years ago when he was an early teen. He has great stories about the first time he saw the show, and how much of an impact it had on him. He absolutely loved it. (...and yes, he knows all the words to all of the songs, and he even knows all of the names of the steps in the dance choreography! (see above!) )

I had high expectations of this production, and it did not disappoint. We both thought the cast was very strong, and that the show holds up incredible well. You can't beat the music - so many great songs. The thing I love about this show is how "raw" it is compared to all of popular Broadway shows. It's stripped down to the basics - minimal set, minimal costumes... and let's you really focus on the story lines of the individual characters.

This is the revival that started out in San Francisco two years ago before going to Broadway. This touring production has some of the same cast members.

Dick and I had planned to see the show two years ago. We had planned to go for weeks, and my sister had arranged amazing seats for us. Unfortunately, I got really sick the night before the show, and although I was still hoping to make the show on the day of, I just wasn't well enough to see it. We were really bummed. As it turned out, the symptoms that I had that weekend were the same as I had about a year afterwards, and was the precursor to my appendicitis. How about that?

The show runs through July 27th.

Here's a review of the show from sfgate.com.

No comments: