Friday, October 19, 2007

Whose Wish List is this?

I was just buying a birthday gift for a friend of mine off of her amazon.com wish list.

I really dig the idea of the Wish List.

As a gift-buyer, it's nice to know that the gift that you are giving is something that the receiver actually wants and/or can really use. All too often, it's difficult to think of something to give the "person who has everything" and you really don't want to spend money on something that they don't actually use. This is not to say that one should not give gifts that aren't on a wish list - it's just a nice alternative means for options.

As a gift receiver, I really appreciate the idea of a wish list. Truly, I'm not in need of anything. I appreciate the thought of gifts, and certainly hope that no one would ever feel obligated to buy a gift for me, either. With that being said, it's nice to have a list "out there" with some small things that would make me happy to receive.

After I bought my friend's gift off of her wish list, I added an item to my amazon.com wish list. When I looked through the contents of what I've put up there over the last few months, it made me laugh.

Looking at it, you'd like I'm a young adolescent with a thing for 80s music. Here's a sample of what I have up there: Season 1 and 2 of the Muppet Show on DVD, Sesame Street Old School on DVD, Animaniacs Vol. 3, Complete Peanuts boxed sets, and a few "Best Of" CDs from bands from the 80s and early 90s. Drop in an Xbox game, and I'm a thirteen year old boy. Funny, huh? You'd never know I'm a 37-year old married woman.

I'm also a big fan of giving gift cards as gifts for friends and family. I know it sounds impersonal, but again, this way you know that the recipient will use it on something that they will enjoy.

I noticed that Safeway sells Ebay gift cards now. Now, please understand that I am not trying to solicit gifts by any means. I'm still not in need or want of anything. However, if you are trying to figure out a good gift, I'd be really happy to receive an ebay gift card. Why? Well, that's the place where I really find the things that I want that I know no one else will know about. Yes, I'm talking about antique Raggedy things, animation stuff, etc., I feel weird telling you all what a good gift idea for me would be, but I figure someone out there might appreciate it.

Now I feel weird and kind of greedy.
Hmmmm... not the effect I was going after.

No comments: