Thursday, February 02, 2006

♥ Kimi ♥

My wonderful friend, Kimi, has started a blog! This makes me very happy.

Kimi is one of my dearest friends. We go all the way back to high school. Actually, we go all the way back to being the only two 13-year-olds in our high school marching band! Kimi and I both played flute, and we were cute little band geeks together. We have so many things in common, it's no wonder that we became fast and true friends. Our birthdays are only 15 days apart, which means that we're both Tauruses, born in the year of the Dog. We also both started school early (at age 4 instead of at 5), which made us two of the youngest people in our class. We had many classes together during our high school career: History, English, Honors English, Biology, AP Biology, AP History, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, and I'm sure many others. We spent countless hours studying together at my parent's house.

One of favorite memories of Kimi is when the two of us were in Honors English together in our Junior Year. We were reading Hamlet, and one of our assignments was to memorize a soliloquy, and to recite it in an interesting and unusual way. Somehow, one of us got the bright idea to rap Hamlet! We made matching t-shirts which had a drawing of Shakespeare on the front, and Rappin' Willy on the back. We even threw in a little break dancing into our performance. We got an "A". :) I should hunt down a picture from that.

This photo is from 1989, when we were both 19 years old. I was living in Dayton, Ohio at the time (for color guard), and Kimi came out to visit for a few days. (the true sign of a good friend!) This photo just cracks me up. Remember, this is 1989, and yes, that really is my hair. It was the 80s. What can I say? Kimi managed to have a lot more style-sense than me (read: no perm). My sister (who I lived with) was really good at finding great bargains at vintage/thrift stores in Dayton. Kimi found this gorgeous brocade dress and jacket for something like $5. Of course, I, am wearing the long baggy sweater over the printed stretch pants ;) Nice look, huh?

I have so much love and admiration for my friend, Kimi. She's such a beautiful person, inside and out. She has already had many adventures in life: she has lived in the Bay Area, Texas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Italy. She married a wonderful man, and has two amazing little boys. Have I mentioned that she's a very talented artist?

Kimi and her family live nearby in San Jose now. So much closer than when she lived in Italy! I'm embarrassed to admit that we don't see each other nearly as much as we should. In fact, I think the only time we saw each other last year were at my Bridal Shower, and our wedding. Hmmmm. We need to work on that.

Kimi and I used to "pass notes" in high school. We would crack each other up with notes filled with drawings and funny stories. I really look forward to reading her blog.

No comments: