Sunday, July 31, 2005

The cat who cried wolf

Our big cat, Marcel, is feeling very smug right now.

He managed to trick us into feeding him two breakfasts this morning.

Now granted, Marcel has been on a diet ever since we adopted him 5 years ago. He is on prescription diet food, and only gets 1 cup of food per day.

We often find Marcel trying to trick us into believing that he hasn't been fed yet. If I leave the house before Dick comes home from work, Dick will have to call me to find out whether or not Marcel has already been fed. This is because, regardless of if he has just been fed or not, Marcel will sit at the top of the stairs and "Meow! Meow!" trying to convince us that he hasn't had a bite to eat in days.

He did the same thing this morning. We were out unusually late (for us) last night at Shan's annual "Bond Party". (Which was fantastic, by the way. Thanks, Shan!) We got home around 2:00. I woke up around 10:00, walked out of the bedroom, and there was Marcel, sitting in the hallway screaming, "MEOW! MEOW!". Now, here I thought, "what a good little guy - he waited until I woke up to start crying." So I happily gave him a scoop of food.

When Dick woke up half an hour later, I told him what a good cat Marcel had been. Dick started laughing, telling me that I'd been had.... He briefly woke up at 6:00am, and had fed Marcel then.

We keep warning Marcel that one of these days, he's going to be the cat who cried wolf. He's going to "MEOW! MEOW!" and we're not going to believe him.

But, until that happens, we've got one smug, sassy, big fat cat who is very pleased with himself.

No comments: