Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Showing our Age

We just got back from a very nice dinner with our friends Aditya and Ami. They are much younger than Dick and I (they are in their early 20s) and something inevitably comes up in our conversations that remind us of the generation gap - usually some sort of Pop Culture reference.

As Dick and I were walking home, he started to "whistle a happy tune". Well, actually, he was whistling "Darling Nikki" from Prince's Purple Rain, which I recognized immediately. I laughed, telling Dick, "You know, Aditya & Ami wouldn't know that song...."

Then I mentioned that I had just listened to that song, along with the rest of the album a couple of weeks ago.

Here's the funny part: My exact words were: "I just listened to that song on my Walkman a couple of weeks ago".

On my Walkman.

Oops. There's a slip! Must be showing my age. ;)

Ah yes, it's true - I was lucky enough to get a Walkman (generic brand, NOT a Sony) from Santa when I was 13 or so - right around the time that they came out.

You know.... about 20 years ago.

That's when I realized that iPods are the Walkmans of the new generation.
(not to be confused with Prince and the Revolution or even Prince and the New Power Generation.... HA! Now we've come full circle! ;) )

We live in such interesting times....

No comments: