Friday, February 25, 2005

Jury Duty follow-up

I've got to say, I've quite impressed with the judicial system in San Francisco.

As you know, I served on jury duty last week. Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail yesterday from the judge who presided over the case. I'm very impressed with the unexpected follow-up.

Here's what it said:

Dear Ms. Chow,

I want to personally thank you for serving as a juror on the People vs. (defendant's name) case. Those of us in the justice system are well aware that jury duty invariably involves personal sacrifices along with the frustration of what appears to be an unwieldy system. Your commitment in accepting this important responsibility ensures that our system of justice continues to work and work well. You time, energy, integrity and patience were critical components in this case and in the American justice system.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for improvement as a result of your jury duty, please drop me a note. We are proud of our new "one-day, one-trial" system and its reduction delays, but we know we can do better.

I sincerely hope that your experience was interesting and worthwhile. I certainly enjoyed having you in my courtroom. Your participation as a responsible citizen is to be commended.

Very truly yours,
(judge's name)
Judge of the Superior Court

No comments: