Friday, January 04, 2019

Beach Paintings

Dick and I went on vacation with his family to the Outer Banks in North Carolina with his family last Summer. While we were there, I took many photo (imagine that) of family scenes on the beach. I took a few that I thought would make really nice painting compositions, and put it in the back of my head that maybe I could paint them as Christmas gifts for our family.

I'm happy to say that I actually painted them! I sent them out as Christmas gifts, and they all just received and opened them. (Meg was out of the country on vacation, and just returned home earlier this week.)

I intentionally wanted to make smaller, studies of these photos. I have found in the last couple of years that I really like doing studies on smaller canvases. They are significantly less intimidating to me, and I feel much more loose and free in my style.

I did three paintings in total. They range in sizes 9 x 12 inches to 8 x 8 inches.

I'm super happy with how all three turned out. So much so, that I'm going to try at least one at a larger size, while attempting to keep the style the same. (looser brushstrokes, less detail, but keeping the sense of motion.) Also, I'm realizing more and more that I really enjoy painting beach scenes. :)

They paintings were given to Dick's two sisters and their families, and to our oldest niece and her husband.


"Family at the Beach"
9 x 12 inches
oil on canvas


"Meg and the Kite"
8 x 10 inches
oil on canvas


"Adrianne & Ricky"
8 x 8 inches
oil on canvas

No comments: