Monday, September 24, 2018

3 units of platelets

I'm feeling a little bit like a super hero today.
I just finished donating platelets, as I try to do at least once a month. I usually donate 2 units of platelets which usually takes between 50-60 minutes.

Today, I noticed that the amount of time that the draw would take was longer by about 25 minutes. After I looked back at past donation photos, I realized that the machine was programmed to have me donate more platelets than I have in the past.

Instead of donating two units of platelets, I donated 3 units today!!

The system here at the blood center decides how much platelets to draw based on the readings of your last donation. Apparently, not only was my platelet count at its usual high level, but my iron level and hemoglobin was also high enough for it to plan on 3 units this time instead of 2.

Considering the extra amount of platelets only took less than an extra half an hour of my time, I'm pretty happy to be able to donate so much more.

No comments: