Saturday, April 07, 2018

Strictly Ballroom at the West End!!!!

Oh, my goodness!! I am One Happy Trina!

One of my top all-time favorite movies is Baz Lurhmann's "Strictly Ballroom". I have heard for many years that a Broadway Musical version was in the works, and that it had played in Australia, but I hadn't heard anything recently.

Imagine my surprise, when I saw a poster for Strictly Ballroom The Musical in a hallway of a train station yesterday! I looked into it last night and found that they are in previews at The Piccadilly Theatre and will open on April 24th! (Apparently, my sister knew about this, but forgot to tell me.)

I decided to get a ticket for today's matinee, which was lucky timing. We have dinner plans with our gang tonight (last group meal of the trip) and there are no shows tomorrow, which is our last full day.

Happily, Dick, Reeves and Paula decided to join me, and we got great seats in the eighth row.

Bottom line, I absolutely loved it!! I thought there were some kinks that need to be reworked (mostly the first 15 minutes), but overall I thought it was fantastic. The cast was really good, and I thought they were so perfect cast for the info individual roles, which is a pretty tall order.

Most importantly, the show had the heart at the core of the movie. The theater was almost full today and the show was very well received. I hope this show does well and that it reaches a broad audience. It'll be interesting to see how it grows and evolves.

No comments: