Monday, October 10, 2016

Today's 9.5(ish) mile walk around New York

Today is our last full day in New York. It turned out to be a beautiful day - a little brisk, but sunny and in the low 60s. After the chilly rain yesterday, we decided that we wanted to be outside to enjoy the weather today.

We had bagels at our favorite place for breakfast, then ventured out!

Actually, the morning started on a bummer-note, as I realized that my favorite scarf had been lost sometime last night. I deduced that I most likely left it at either the restaurant where we had dinner, or at the club where we went for for jazz after. I put in a call to both places, but neither of them had found it initially. I was supper bummed - I realize a scarf is just a "thing" and replaceable, but I really loved this one. After breakfast, I called the club and asked if it would be possible for me to check the space to see if I could find it. We left at 1:00am, but there was another set starting right after. Anyhow, we hopped on the subway to the West Village, and found a band rehearsing in the club. I asked if they minded if I looked around, and they were super nice about it. Dick and I looked around the entire club, and just as we were able to give up, I went up to thank the band on the stage, and found my scarf sitting on the piano! Yay!!


Grand Central Station


Hurray! Found my scarf!!

Now with scarf in hand, and a happy Trina, Dick and I decided to do something we haven't done before: Walk the length of Central Park! Again, the weather was so nice that we decided to spend the day outside. We took the subway to the Northwest corner of the park and walked down from there.

We hadn't spent any time on the North end of the park before. There were lots of really pretty areas up there.



Along the way, we came to the Reservoir in the park, which we'd seen before, but never from the north side. It was so pretty seeing so much of the Manhattan skyline on the opposite side.


Beautiful view from the North side of the Reservoir

We had been to Belvedere Castle before, but it was fun to see it again.


Belvedere Castle

The only real quest I had for the day was to pick up a cookie from Levain Bakery in the Upper West Side, which is only a few blocks from the Park on West 74th Street. Gina had told me about it last week. She had found it when she was doing research before the trip and both she and John thought their cookies were really amazing.

Well, apparently a whole lot of people think their cookies are amazing. When we got there around 3:30, there was a line at least 80 people deep! I considered waiting, but didn't feel great making Dick wait in line for something he wouldn't even eat. Plus, we were getting hungry for real food, so decided to ditch the cookies from Levain this time. (for the record, Gina and John went last Thursday and said they only had about 10 people in line!)


The line outside Levain Bakery

We walked back to the park, and walked the remaining length. We were going to have a late lunch at Carnagie Deli (one of our favorite places here) but alas, another really long line that we figured would take at least an hour. We already had a backup plan to go back to Hello Deli a few blocks away. Unfortunately, they were closing (early) just as we arrived! (they were very nice about it)

Now we were getting hangry as we started to go through Times Square. Dick found an Italian place with great reviews so we stopped for pizza. It turned out to be very good pizza and Dick was even able to order one for himself without cheese.


Happy Dick with no-cheese pizza

While we were eating I remembered that Gina and John had gone to another cookie place in Times Square last week, so I sent her a message asking about that one. We were only about two blocks away, and happily, there was no line.


Yay, cookie!

We walked about 10 miles today - most of that without a break before our late lunch. It was a really great walk on a gorgeous day, and I'm so glad we did it. :)


Fitbit stats once we returned to our hotel


I turned on my Walkmeter App after we started our walk from the Northwest corner of Central Park.

No comments: