Friday, March 06, 2015

No more donating platelets or whole blood for me :(

I got an email this morning informing me that my platelet count when I donated yesterday was 678. Unfortunately, that number is well above the number that the Apheresis Machine will accept (600 limit).

I was also informed that I am now to be deferred from any additional donations, and that I'm no longer eligible to donate either platelets or whole blood. :(

It was also recommended that I inform my physician of my high platelet count as there is a possibility of 'overproduction syndrome' which can occur later in life. I called my physician a couple of months ago, and she wasn't concerned based off my records of the past several years, but I left her another message again this morning with the latest numbers.

I'm very bummed, and very disappointed that I am no longer eligible to donate platelets or whole blood. I always felt that it was a good thing that my platelet count was high, as I was able to donate up to 3 times the amount that other people are able to donate. Platelets are always needed, and there simply aren't enough people able/willing to donate. It makes me sad that I am willing and able to donate, that I have the time, but that I can't, based on my levels being too high. I was hoping that it would still be okay for me to donate whole blood, but was informed that I could not. This really makes me sad. I've been donating whole blood and platelets for about 10 years now on a regular basis - every two months for whole blood and every 2-4 weeks for platelets.

Medically speaking, I'm pretty sure I'm okay, but I'll wait to hear from my doctor. Last time I told her the numbers she said they were high, but not high enough to be of concern.

1 comment:

Marleah said...

Seems like if you had/produced too much, the perfect solution would be to have the excess drained, i.e. donate!