Saturday, December 13, 2014

Operation "Mousie Cookie: Bellevue"

I decided to make our annual holiday Mousie Cookies to share with our friends in the Seattle area. This was the first time that I've made them without my Mom. I forgot how time consuming these little guys are. Lucky for me, Dick offered to help out. It's helpful to have another set of hands to help cut the eyes (black licorice) and tails (red licorice).

I made two batches of dough, but only made about 2/3 of the mice this morning. I'll keep the dough chilling and will make more later in the week.

I just tried one, and am happy with how they turned out. It's a mousie cookie army!!


two batches of dough


mousie cookie parts ready to go!


cut up black licorice for eyes, unsalted peanut halves for ears, and red licorice tails


forming the dough into 1" balls


mouse forms


adding the ears and eyes. also poke a hole in the back for the tail to be inserted after baking

Bake at 325 for 12 minutes


after baking, add tails


cooling off on the rack


a dot of red frosting for the nose.


it's an army of mousie cookies!

update
I just finished the last batch of mice, using the remainder of the dough from Saturday.
I had made two batches of dough, which yielded 88 mice (just over 7 dozen).

No comments: