Sunday, December 05, 2010

Another casualty of the Great Purge of 2010

Just another example of me holding onto things longer than I should...


The Mac OS 9.1 Startup Window

This is my first laptop - my Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3.

I got it during the first year that Dick and I were dating, in 2000. He had a discount with Apple at the time, and was able to get me a good deal. :)

In its day, it was the coolest computer around. In fact, I remember bringing it to a client meeting soon after I got it, and the client was immediately impressed with my very cool computer. :)

I don't remember this laptop giving me any problems at all, and I used it for many, many years. I think I got another laptop in 2004 or so. It was a BIG deal for me to get a new one because at the time, it meant I had to make the switch from SCSI and serial ports to USB. I was a pretty late adopter to all of that stuff ('cause I hold onto computers longer than most, I suppose) so that switch meant that I had to but new printers, scanners, keyboards, etc., It also meant switching from Mac OS 9 to the whole new Mac OS X operating system. Too much change! :)

After the big switch, I wasn't ready to let go of my faithful PowerBook G3. There were very few times that I can remember having to go back to it for files or fonts that for some reason hadn't been transferred over to my new machine properly. I just wasn't ready to let it go.

But, today is the day.

I've been keeping this Power Book underneath a little shelf that houses my current MacBook Pro (on top). It hasn't been turned on for years. I still have the AC Adapter, and even (luckily) found an old Norton Utilities Disk that I could use as a Start-up disk and I'm currently wiping my old drive.

So long, my faithful PowerBook G3! You served me well! Thanks for all the good times.

Oh, and I should also mention that I'm finally getting rid of my old Palm V, too! ;)


My Old Desktop - seeing it one last time...


Wiping the drive!

No comments: