Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's Official! I'm Walking!


Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure

I had mentioned in a previous post that I'm training to do the "Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure" 60 mile walk in October.

Yesterday, I made it official:

I set up my donation page, and I sent out emails to some friends and families to start my fund raising campaign.

I sent my email out in the evening. Unfortunately, the 3-day's website which processes the donations was down for maintenance less than 2 hours after my email went out. Bad timing on my part. The site was up again this morning, and I've already had a few more donations come through! So far, I've raised $250.00 $300.00! My sincere thanks to all who have donated so far, and helped me get started on this journey!

If you are so inclined, I would really appreciate a donation of any amount towards my goal of $2,300.

You can donate here:
http://www.the3day.org/goto/trinachow

I am planning to put a copy of my goal tracker on my blog so you can follow along as I try to raise money for this great cause. I'll also be writing more blog posts about my continuous training and experiences leading up to the walk.

Thank you for your consideration!

here is the letter that I sent:

Dear Friends and Family,

Late last year, I was inspired to take on an incredible personal challenge. On October 1-3, 2010, I'll be walking 60 miles over the course of three days in San Francisco and Marin Counties. I’ll be camping out at night with thousands of other women and men taking this journey with me.

It's for an event called the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. Net proceeds from the Komen 3-Day for the Cure are invested in breast cancer research and community programs. Komen for the Cure® works hard to build a future without breast cancer, and I am hoping to raise my goal of $2,300 to help bring us closer to that goal.

I am writing for your support. Please help me to raise the $2300 needed to walk. Any amount is appreciated, and no amount is too big or too small - $5 is as good as $50, and if you can do more, that would be terrific. I realize times are tough, and if you are unable to donate, that’s okay, too.

I don’t think I’ve participated in any personal fundraising projects since I went door-to-door selling fruit cake for my high school marching band (true story!). I’m feeling a little bit rusty in asking for donations, but this is for such a good cause, and any donation that you make can really make a difference.

I can’t say that I’m not completely intimidated by the daunting task of walking 60 miles in 3 days, but I’m positive that with your support and encouragement, I’ll make it through! I plan on making a t-shirt with the names of all of my sponsors printed on it so that you will be walking with me in spirit, helping me along the way.

I promise to do my very best in raising money, training, and completing this 3-day journey.

Please follow the link below to visit my personal fundraising Web page and make a donation. If you don't want to donate online, you can download and print a donation form from my Web page and mail it to the address on the form. Or you can call 800-996-3DAY to donate over the phone.

http://www.the3day.org/goto/trinachow

Thank you for your support and consideration.

With Gratitude,
Trina Chow

** Please also ask your employer if they will double your donation with a matching gift.

No comments: