Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Day I actually made money at Costco

As most of you know, I'm a huge fan of shopping at Costco. I've been going to Costco (and Price Club before that) for well over 20 years.

...but I've never had this experience before!

Yesterday, I went to Costco to pick up just a few things. My list wasn't long, but we were running low on tissue.

I went to the return line first. I had bought a few things a couple of months ago that for one-reason-or-another didn't work out. BTW: Costco has the best return policy ever. My return credit (which was put back onto my Costco Am Ex Card) was around $75.00. Now, I realize that a return doesn't count as "getting money back" but it's better than spending money on something that isn't being used.

I did my shopping around the warehouse, and it turns out that I really didn't need much this time around. I got my TP (with a $2 coupon!), tissue, some juice and another random thing or two that I can't recall.

Anyhow, I get to the register, and the total comes to just under $50. Pretty low for a Costco bill.

But, here's the thing: I had a rebate check sent to me in the amount of $90.00. (I have an Executive membership and get 1-3% back on purchases for the year.)

I assumed that since my bill was lower than my rebate check, that I wouldn't be able to use it this time around, and would have to wait until another time when I purchased more.

It's a good thing I asked, because they said, "Of course you can use it!"

They took my rebate check, deducted the $50ish purchase, and gave me $40 back in cash!

So, I actually left Costco with more money than I went in with.

That's never happened before!
Thanks, Costco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and as you walked to the car - a pig flew by. Squeak. Flap. Squeak. Flap. I'm not even sure what this means.