Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Best Friend from Fourth Grade

When I was in fourth grade, my family lived in Fresno. My sister and I were both part of the "GATE" program (Gifted and Talented Education, apparently), which started in fourth grade. I believe there as only one GATE class per grade level in the city, but I"m not sure. Nonetheless, this means that the kids in our class came from all over Fresno, and most of us hadn't had classes in first through third grades with each other before.

My best friend that year was Julie. I'm don't remember the exact moment that we met, but I do remember that we became fast friends, and we were basically inseparable during that entire school year.

My dad got transferred to the bay area with work, and the day after I finished the fourth grade, my family moved to Milpitas. My family took occasional trips to Fresno over the next few years, and I remember that Julie and I were able to see each other for visits from time to time. We also wrote letters (the old-fashioned kind!) to each other, probably through 7th grade or so.

Alas, we lost touch sometime around Junior High or even High School. I always remembered Julie and had very fond memories of her.

Fast forward to 2007.

On October 3, 2007, I post a blog asking my readers to please let themselves be known. My blog had a lot of regular hits, so I was curious to know who was reading it regularly.

Imagine my surprise when I received the following comment:

Trina,
This probably sounds very strange, but I used to be friends with you in Fresno, years ago. Do you remember me?

One day a few months ago, I was typing random names into Google and came across this blog! We were in fourth grade together, and then you moved to Milpitas. We wrote letters and sent school pictures for years, but somehow we fell out of touch sometime in high school.

Anyway, I have wanted to drop you a line, but it seemed so "stalkerish" But since you've asked....

I enjoy your blog because you are so joyful and positive about your life - such a wonderful role model.

Julie | 10.05.07 - 9:18 pm


Pretty amazing, right? I sent her an email immediately. We've corresponded via email a few times, have become "friends" on Facebook, and keep up with each other on our mutual blogs.

We even managed a "face-to-face" visit a couple of years ago when Julie lived in Stockton. It was wonderful. What a special friendship - we met for lunch, and ended up talking for more than 3 hours, which was only cut short because I had to meet my family for dinner. I love those friendships where you can be separated for years, yet, when you see each other again, you fall right back with each other. It had been nearly 30 years since we had seen each other!

I feel so fortunate that Julie had the inclination to search for me, and that we have managed to reconnect. I think it's so special to have friends in your life from childhood.

Julie just sent me a photo that she found of the two of us - I assume it's from 1979. I absolutely love it. I don't think I ever had a picture of the two of us together.


Julie and Trina, 1979


Julie and Trina, 2008

Thanks, Julie! I hope to see you again very soon for another visit!

1 comment:

mdtimbang said...

this is awesome! the old photo is classic.