Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Handy-Dandy Costco Tip

A few years ago, I signed up for a Costco American Express Cash Rebate Card. As you may know, Costco does not take Visa or Mastercard, but it does accept AmEx, Discover and Bank Debit cards.

For years, I used my ATM/Debit card, which was fine, but I would have much preferred to just charge everything to a credit card and pay the lump sum in full at the end of the month.

Enter the Costco AmEx Card. This card, with no annual fee, not only allowed me to charge my Costco purchases, but also gave me 1-3% back in a Costco Rebate check each year. Handy dandy. The breakdown for how much percentage you'll get in a rebate is: 3% for dining out, 2% on travel expenses, and 1% for purchases everywhere else, including Costco (but not including gasoline, alcohol, or cigarettes) . Usually, I only qualify for the 1% tier, since I only use my AmEx card at Costco.

Well, apparently, they introduced a new card last year called the "TrueEarnings Card" from American Express and Costco. The rebate schematic is the same as before, except now, starting in February, you can also receive 3% back on gas purchases! Not bad.

Here's the thing: if you had a AmEx/Costco Platinum Card (like I do) you have to call the number on the back of the card, and have them actually switch you over to the new card.

No reason not to do it (which I just confirmed with the sales rep who helped me out). It's the same rebate structure, with the addition to the 3% rebate for gasoline. Still, no fees, etc.,

...and that's your handy-dandy Costco tip of the day! :)

No comments: