Tuesday, January 11, 2005

International Blog-arama

I just added a new addition to my Blog-arama list. My 20 year old cousin, Cheri, is studying abroad for a quarter in Santiago, Chile.

It has occurred to me that 3 of my friends/family that I have listed on my Blog-arama are outside of the US. That's pretty cool. I love the power of the internet.

Before Cheri left for Chile, we discussed how different the means of international communication are now from just a few years ago. In 1988, my sister studied abroad in London for a semester. At the time, international phone calls were very expensive, and I don't think my sister was able to call home more than once a month while she was gone. She also wrote us letters in form of a daily jounal on rice paper, which reduced the cost of air mail postage. Now, Cheri is in Chile, and Dick's neice, Adrianne, is in Spain, and they have the power of the internet to stay in touch with loved ones in the States. They have digital cameras to share photos, and even have the ability to video conference with us.

It's really miraculous how much technology has changed over the years. Now I'm just sounding old, huh?
"These kids these days.... in my day...." lol

It just occurred to me that Cheri's first big move-away-from-home adventure is taking her to Chile at age 20.
Adrianne moved to Spain at 21.

When I was 19, I moved to Dayton, OH.
ring.....!. Hello? Clue phone.... What was I thinking? ;)

No comments: