Saturday, January 24, 2004

Sick Monitor

Crap - I think my monitor just blew a fuse or something...

First of all, it's 5:00 am on a Saturday morning. Why am I awake? I wasn't able to sleep well at all last night. Fell asleep around 12:30, but woke back up at 4:00. :(

Anyhow, here I was, doing my computer thing, when *blip* - we have a little power surge/failure. The lights went off just for one second, then everything popped back on. Everything seemed to reset itself just fine, except....

My 17" monitor (which I have attached to my 15" laptop) didn't turn back on, and was making little clicking noises. Eventually, the green light came back on (as opposed to the orange light that was on, like when the computer is in sleep mode) but... no picture. Just black. Nadda.

My laptop was still reading the external monitor, and I think the monitor thought it was up and running. What is it? Is that like a blown picture tube? Hmmmm.

So, now what? Wait and see? See how it feels in the morning?

I don't exactly feel like buying a new monitor now - too many things going on. However, (she said, perhaps jumping the gun) I'll need one. It makes doing my work so much easier and more efficient.

Grrrrrrrr. :(

And, yes. I did have everything plugged into a power surge protector.
Geez. Good thing my laptop has a battery backup.

Perhaps it wouldn't had blown if I wasn't awake, and my computer/monitor was asleep during the power blip :(

Is there someone out there I can blame?

UPDATE:
1:54pm


Unfortunately, it looks like I have a dead monitor :(
Now I'm researching 15" and 17" flat screen LCD monitors on amazon.com. (love free shipping/no tax)
The 17" seems to average about $100 more than the 15". Dick has pretty much convinced me to spend the extra dough for the extra screen size.

Gads, like I need to spend the extra $$ that I wasn't planning on. Oh well, what can you do? I'm really missing having an extra monitor right now (and it's only been a few hours - pathetic, really), and I'm sure that as soon as I start working on my next project, I'll be really missing it.

Silver Lining: get a pretty, lightweight flat monitor. More desk space. Tax right-off.

Looking at a Sony, NEC and a ViewSonic.
any opinions out there?

No comments: