Wednesday, November 05, 2003

New Software Day

I just finished installing 2 new pieces of software: OS X (10.3) and Flash MX 2004.

I have to say, the installation process went really well. OS X took a really long time (Dick says, "welcome to the world of UNIX"). There were 3 installation CDs! I haven't seen multiple installation CDs/disks since I had to install programs using little 3.5" floppy disks! Aside from that (and a roughly 45 minute process) all went well.

So far, I'm enjoying Panther. That's Apple-ese for this newest version of OS X. I'm calling it OS X code name: Claude. That's because I always joke that my kitty, Claude, is part Russian Blue, and part Panther. (he's very tall, and has very long legs)

Anyway, back to the new software. Dick's friends in the Mac Group have been telling me for months that the new upgrade is really great - they're working on new software, so they've been testing it on Panther for the past several months. So far, it definitely seems faster (very nice!). I also like the configuration of the Finder more so far. A little more intuitive. There are several new features that I know I won't use: I don't use Apple's Calendar or Mail program - I use Microsoft's Entourage instead for all of that. What kind of Microsoft girlfriend would I be if I didn't use all of these things? Anyway, it seems like there are several other changes/additions in here to play with. Guess I'll have to use it for a few more days to figure out how much a difference it will all make. So far, I've figured out how to use a little Raggedy Ann picture as my profile picture on AIM - that's exciting.

FYI:
MSN Messenger: trina_chow@hotmail.com
AIM: trinachow1

I'm on MSN at all times. I only log onto AIM every once in a while. It seems to be more popular with people in my family, and people in Dick's family.

Flash MX 2004. No news for you yet. I'll check it out within the next few days. The last version of Flash I have is about 3 years old - Flash 4. Unfortunately, it was too old of a version to get the full upgrade. Instead, I (luckily) was able to find someone who was able to get the educational version for me at a very reasonable price.

Anyway, I haven't used Flash too often yet - I used it for the opening screen on the Always Dream Foundation site, and for some small, personal projects. My new plan is to learn Flash MX by doing a bunch of personal projects (those I had previously done, or wanted to do with Director years ago) then utilizing my new skills to offer it to clients if they want.

Hopefully, I'll get something started within the next few days. I'll check out the tutorial first. My friend, Willo, is a bonafied "Flash Goddess" (really). She and I may exchange some lessons on Flash for Photoshop and Quickbook lessons. good deal, eh?

No comments: